0 Comments | by
SHARE

Q: I want a cocktail dress for a maximum of $150 for a grad banquet. Any ideas?

A: There are tons of great options awaiting out there online for you. I only checked out 2 sites and found tons of great options. However, for simplicity sake, I will only list the top 3 picks from each site. For an occasion like a graduation banquet, I'm leaning more towards a dress that is sexy yet sophisticated, or pretty and lady-like, with simple clean lines that subtly accentuate the body, and an above the knee length. Save the floor-length gowns for a truly formal event - this kind of occasion you want to look young, elegant, yet still fun because you're hanging out with your peers for potentially the last time. Might as well leave them with a sexy impression of your legs! Anyway onto the picks:

Glitter mesh tube dress

Glitter mesh tube dress

However, that also validates it as a hot pick for this Q&A. There are a lot of conventional things going on with this dress: the empire waist, the glitter mesh, the tubiness of it all, but conventional doesn't mean icky! Maybe the popularity of this dress can be attributed to the model's confident pose. Or maybe it's because there is actually a pretty hot brown dress out there in existence and that doesn't happen very often?

Caviar beaded tube dress

Caviar beaded tube dress

This dress is in a way a bit too "little-girl-dress-up" for me, but it also really works for me too. The beading adds that extra bit of formal appeal that makes this dress girly and pretty. I think this dress fits in well with the whole preppy-chic trend right now.

Strapless satin cocktail dress

Strapless satin cocktail dress

I like this dress for several reasons. The empire waist is flattering and good for banquets where one may eat more than one should (expanding stomachs people!), the color is neutral and mature, but the dress is kept young and flirty with the addition of a rosette on the bodice and a tiered skirt. I also LOVE satin!! Finally, this dress would look good out at the club or on a fancy date. I wouldn't wear this dress unless you are fairly slim though, since I suspect that the tiering adds a bunch of width to your frame.

Geren Ford black silk keyhole dress

Geren Ford black silk keyhole dress

I know what I said before about resisting plain ol' LBDs, but look at this dress! It is simple sophistication with a hint of sexiness with the keyhole. Pair with some great heels and bright jewellry and you have one perfect dress for every occasion and any time of year.

BCBGMaxAzria off white tulle

BCBGMaxAzria off white tulle

a little over budget I know, but I cannot resist a dress with a good bow. The contrast of black and white is always crisp and the pattern is unique while still maintaining an air of classiness. I also think this dress is very spring-like, which is perfect for an april grad ceremony.

Alexia Admor beige lace asymmetrical tube dress

Alexia Admor beige lace asymmetrical tube dress

Love this dress' delicate use of lace, very romantic, plus the colour will match lots of skin tones. I also couldn't believe BlueFly would sell something this cheap!

Labels: ,


Add a Comment Cheap cocktail dresses